Sunday 10 April 2016

Changing plans

On Friday I am graduating from university. I had been planning for a while to make a little black dress for the ceremony using B5281, a very elegant reproduction vintage pattern from 1946. Last night, I scrapped this plan and will be wearing another dress I made last year instead.

I have always been someone who enjoys taking on large, complicated projects, and I immerse myself in them. I even get everything done on time. But this time I decided I needed to take a step back, and remind myself that it's okay if I don't follow through this once. I got to the stage of having the wearable muslin finalised, and the went to bed last night, and started scheming how I could fit sewing a fully lined crepe and silk dress in four days around university, assignments and work.
 When I started panicking over needing to thread trace all the darts and tucks due to the black fabric, and realising slippery fabric is horrible to cut, I decided to call it off. Actually, I'll be wearing one of those academic gowns, so it won't matter what I am wearing to a great extent. Not enough to need to sweat over a new dress. I am in love with this pattern. The details on it are exquisite, and I have bought the most gorgeous fabric for it. I want to take my time and ensure I have a really well made dress at the end of the process. A good LBD will become a proper wardrobe staple in time. I'll be graduating again next year anyway from masters! I am very relieved I can have some breathing space this week, and am looking forward to getting stuck into this dress when I have the proper time to devote to it

8 comments:

  1. That's a wise decision! It's not fun at all to rush through a project!

    I am very bad sewing with a deadline. I get stressed out and don't enjoy the progress as much like I do when I take the time.

    Congratulations with graduating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anthea! Usually I don't mind sewing to a deadline, as it can make sure those final touches et done, but this was not going to be a fun deadline project at all.

      Delete
  2. Good choice, Kaitlyn! You're so right, it is more important to have time to breathe, so to speak, than to to be rushing like crazy to finish a dress in time. Way too much stress, especially at an exciting time like this! :) I too made a black crepe dress from this pattern, and it was quite the headache trying to mark the darts and tucks on that fabric! I used chalk, but it still didn't work the greatest.

    Congratulations on graduating, and have fun sewing the LBD when you get to it! I love the mockup version too; it is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I jut went through your blog archives and found yours, so elegant! Yeah, I felt such a relief when I took the pressure off myself.

      Delete
  3. Good idea to step away. I know for me, I make the most mistakes when I feel rushed. Congratulations on your graduation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomasa :) I certainly did not want to be making mistakes on a deadline

      Delete
  4. Takes courage to step away from made plans. Good for you. Enjoy your graduation ceremony.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful floral fabrics. i am so inspired from your article.
    african french lace | nigerian lace fabrics | African Lace Fabrics

    ReplyDelete