Sunday, 20 December 2015
Purple silk refashioned blouse
Today's newly finished item is a refashion. Years ago, I bought this purple silk blouse at one of those opshops where you buy by the kilogram. I picked up a lot of silk that day for about 50c each. I wore the blouse as I bought it for a few years until I decided it needed a change. It was quite loose fitting, had a stiff collar, and dropped shoulder sleeves.
I actually started this months ago. Second picture down is once I cut off the sleeves and collar. I gave it some side seam shaping, and turned the dropped shoulder effect into a kimono sleeve. In the picture of me wearing it you can see the buttons aren't sitting quite right. I don't think it's an issue of it being tight across the bust, The buttons are widely spaced, and I think a press stud there should do the trick.
The reason this took so long to finish was the binding. I tried a rolled hem, but it wouldn't take, so in the end I cut the neckline down into a V, and finished all the edges with pre made mauve bias tape whilst watching Call the Midwife.
All up, a quick project, and I think it will get a lot of wear over the summer