Sunday, 8 January 2017

2017 Make Nine

These are the nine patterns I've decided I'm making this year. As you can see, they are all vintage ones! I already have the fabric put aside for several of them.

Last year I did not get as much sewing done as I wanted to, but I am happy with what I did get made, especially moving into sewing a lot of separates. The Smooth Sailing blouse has become an indispensable wardrobe staple.

This year's plans are as follows:

1. Sew more vintage.

2. Pencil skirts- fit a pattern for my hips

3. Keep the sewing area under control. We live in a tiny apartment and my sewing is everywhere. We are planning on moving in the next few months, so hopefully that will mean I can get more organised.

4. Sew more regularly: again this will be easier when sewing doesn't take over everything including the bed! However, a lot of it is just having that motivation to get started.

5. UFOs. At this point last year I was lamenting the same. I need to finish what I start. A lot of things only have hand sewing left, which I love to do, but it does take time.

6. Blog once a week. I love having this platform, and I want to be able to grow it more.

7. Take part in at least two sewing challenges.

8. Increase skills: grading, bound button holes etc.

I'll be back later this week with yet another Smooth Sailing blouse!

Wednesday, 4 January 2017

The ongoing saga of the Liberty shirtdress, and a red skirt

Long time readers of my blog might remember my Third Time Lucky Blouse from last year. I had bought a vintage Liberty shirtdress that was several sizes too big. First round: Resize it, second round: remake it into a M6696 shirtdress with a straight skirt, forgetting I have hips, third round: blouse with a mandarin collar. As I said in the post at the time, I realized I should have tapered the placket at the neck to make the collar sit properly, but I was happy to wear it high buttoned. However, I only ever wore it the one time, and back to the pile it went. I had enough left over scraps to piece together the collar sections, and once I'd sewn it together, I unpicked the top seam on the collar stand, and sandwiched the collar in before hand stitching it in place. Two hours worth of work, and finally the blouse is wearable, and the saga of the liberty shirtdress comes to an end.

 Every year my grandmother's retirement village has a big spring fete. I al ways end up at the craft stall (when not at the books). Most of their stock is handmade items made by residents, but this year I was lucky on the sewing front. I bought a large amount of vintage zippers and bias binding, patchwork scraps for my hexagon quilt,  and this red fabric. It seems to be a wool, but it's light enough for summer.  I managed to just cut out  Simplicity 6862, the best ever skirt pattern and I
added in a side seam pocket out of some old red floral from my first dressmaking project. Nice and simple. It's going to go with a lot of my blouses.

That's all to say on that. I've been loving reading everyone's plans on sewing in 2017, so I'll be back in a few days to share mine. Needless to say, it's a lot of vintage florals!