Sunday 18 October 2015

Liberty Mathilde Blouse

After handing in my thesis almost a fortnight ago I have my sewing time back, which has resulted in a flurry of activity. The first project was a WIP that  had started way back in March.

This gorgeous liberty print was bought last May at the Fabric-a-brac fabric sale in Stanmore, Sydney (a day I remember well as I got engaged that evening). I paid  $8 for around a metre. I still have a good bit left over. I absolutely love Liberty fabric, the quality is fantastic, and the prints speak to my very feminine, Anglophile, country garden and flowers loving heart.

I knew I wanted to make a summer blouse, so I turned to Tilly and the Button's Mathilde blouse. I am planning on branching out and trying a new blouse pattern at some point (five versions in), but I love this pattern, and knew that with a few modifications it would work well to showcase the print with little distraction.

I eliminated the front tucks, and also changed the sleeves. The sleeve pattern is actually cut from the sleeve head of one of husband's worn out shirts. I had tried a few other sleeve patterns, but found them all restrictive of movement, and I was having trouble leveling off the Mathilde sleeve pattern.

The back closes with some beautiful green vintage buttons I bought in the Rocks (a historical, artsy area of Sydney). When sewing them on, I couldn't help but do a colour coordinated photo in this little Royal Albert dish. It certainly pulls together my love of crockery and sewing.


The finished garment photo isn't too clear unfortunately. There was a good bit of glare, and I didn't realise til later one sleeve was caught up. Oh well, I have good close ups of the fabric, and the picture gives a good indication of how it looks worn.


Pattern: Tilly and the Buttons Mathilde

Size: 3

Fabric: Liberty Tana lawn, Fabric-a-brac sale

Adjustments: No pleats in front, modified sleeve pattern, lowered neckline

Notions: Green vintage buttons from the Rocks

Wear with: my black skirts, my pink skirt, the as yet made blue skirt. The colours give me a lot of options. It also goes equally well with my cream or pink pearls.

Make Again: I m on the look out for more vintage blouse patterns, but this Mathilde modification will most likely come out again ( I actually have a refashion waiting to be blogged)


Hope you have all been having a good week.



7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing your thesis! What a very pretty blouse to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mags :) it's a very relieving feeling for sure

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your achievement! That print is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Isn't it just. It's so spring like, and makes me happy

      Delete
  3. I love Liberty prints too. I don't often wear them but I adore looking at them! Well done on all your modifications. Tilly's Mimi blouse from her Love at First Stitch book is a great blouse. I made it here: http://ooobop.com/its-all-about-mimi-and-me/. It was fun to make and think it would look great in some of your Liberty print!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Liberty prints too. I don't often wear them but I adore looking at them! Well done on all your modifications. Tilly's Mimi blouse from her Love at First Stitch book is a great blouse. I made it here: http://ooobop.com/its-all-about-mimi-and-me/. It was fun to make and think it would look great in some of your Liberty print!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janene, I do have the Mimi to try next with a good few fabrics/. I'm thinking my next Liberty will by a vintage Simplicity 1278. Yours looks wonderful

      Delete